Are you dreading your child’s upcoming birthday party? Don’t panic as there is a wonderful checklist that will help you with the lead in to and on the day, itself.
1. Book well in advance as the option/entertainer that you require may not be available the closer you get to the big day.
(a) This also enables you to have more control over how flexible you are at changing the date and
(b) Gives you enough time to get the invites out at least 2 weeks before the party.
2. Advise the entertainer of the general ages and gender of the children attending the party to ensure the performance is suited to the age group and gender.
3. Do you want a themed party in your own home or local hall? These can be anything from disco to make-up, pirate, mad professor, arts & craft or cookery parties with and without magic shows, puppet shows, kid karaoke etc. You will have to make sure that you have agreed what is included before the price is agreed!
4. You will have to agree in advance what type of party your child is expecting so that you can customize the party as required.
5. Ensure that you and the kid’s party entertainer are both clear about the price and the length of time that they will entertain at the party.
6. Re-confirm the booking a day or two before the party. Book the entertainer to arrive 15 minutes AFTER the children are due to arrive. This ensures that all the guests have arrived.
7. Introduce the entertainer to the birthday boy or girl on arrival so that the entertainer can ensure the child gets the special attention during the performance. It is the child’s big day!
8. Have the entertainer’s fee ready in an envelope before the party starts.
9. Depending on the size of your group you may need to bring in a second person to assist which can double the cost – make sure you are clear about your numbers.
10. Establish beforehand whether or not the entertainer requires any special facilities, tools or party set-up.
11. Check whether or not you require the entertainer to assist during the food part of the party, they would normally hand out balloon models as the children are stuffing themselves! The birthday party entertainer may be able to provide some prizes, gifts or party bags.
12. On the day – remember it is your child’s big day and not a time for all the mums to have a big social and a natter. Unless of course, they are in a different room!
13. It is best if the children sit on the floor instead of chairs due to the amount of interaction and the various activities that may be included.
14. Try and have the entertainer located in the room where his/her back is NOT to the window. This kind of makes it harder for the child to see the daylight.
And finally – don’t worry about the screaming and yelling! The entertainer should bring earplugs should you require them.
And have a wonderful day; enjoy your child’s big day out!